Tuesday, April 1, 2014

When In Singapore: Kaya Toast

Imagine me being sad this morning. Actually, scratch, that. Imagine me without that big smile plastered on my face? Pretty unusual right? And this is all because of not having a supply of my Hainanese Kaya Spread. So, I settled with Nutella (not that it's not good, but damn these taste buds of mine for craving that coconut-y taste of Kaya - something I enjoy every morning. The best partner of the very famous Teh Tarik. I can say, the best breakfast ever. It can compete with the Big breakfast at Burger King that I always drool over to during Sundays (cheat days). Anyhow, back to the main subject, the star of this entry the Kaya toast. 




Kaya toast is a well-known snack in Singapore and Malaysia.It is is prepared with kaya (coconut jam), a topping of sugar, coconut milk and eggs, pandan, and sometimes margarine or butter. I am not going to provide you the recipe, I am satisfied with the commercial ones from Kopitiams, bakeshops and groceries - personal favorite is the Hainanese Kaya Spread with Honey from FairPrice (only 5SGD!). This spread is used with that special thin toasted bread and butter and BOOM! the best breakfast ever. I am telling you, this country is influencing me in a good way little by little. You really better get that Kaya Combo Meal when you visit Singapura. Start your day sweet. Gotta go, I need to buy my supply so that tomorrow will be a better day. 


When in Singapore is a series of entries featuring the beautiful Singapore - it’s people, it’s culture, it’s food and it’s places). Join me in my journey to get to know this country deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment